DIVERSITY AWARENESS

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part 2 DIVERSITY AWARENESS

This topic contains 20 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  seyoung 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am a Bio-Medical Student and I have heard a lot about Dissertation problem of Students and I would like to recommend Affordable Assignment Help is one of the best for helping purposes. They can do all the stuff on time and rates are really reasonable.
    For more: http://www.immaculateassignments.co.uk/

GreatdanePuck15
    Participant

I believe the challenges are curriculum standards that districts view as viable content for the students. Ignorance of who and what is important through history from individuals who do not teach the content seem to sometimes drive the content ie. school board, superintendent, etc..

kms6947

afinamore
    Participant

I agree that many of the problems come from specific standards that a district will set in place. In many cases, the superintendent or administration has no knowledge or experience in special areas like art or music- making it very difficult for them to understand the challenges that come with teaching these subjects.

Elizabeth Eagle
    Participant

I feel that the largest challenges in changing art curriculum to support a change in consciousness is for teachers to allow themselves to be empowered to do so; to encourage themselves to move on from old curriculum that is not current for student’s in today’s world. I feel that this time is the most opportune for powering ahead and encouraging students to look at art through the social constructs they live in and explore these issues; with the 21st century and the goals and changes that belong to this time, it is most pertinent to change and challenge educational curriculum to fit in a diverse time.

TDavenport
    Participant

Changing curriculum to fit the students in the classroom is necessary for student involvement and interest. It is a big responsibility to adapt the curriculum to be socially responsible. How does the teacher determine appropriate topics? I think that if students have a say and input in their projects and overall curriculum it benefits the school and society as a whole. It creates socially responsibly and passionate individuals that learn how to express their thoughts in creative outlets.

One idea a socially responsive curriculum could explore is the issue of inclusion in university projects and specifically the Penn State University libraries.

The issue:

Penn State students, faculty and workers have access to diverse research from all over the world. It is presented in books and through Penn State e-libraries. However, ease of use is an issue with the typical student growing up and learning to use the Duey Decimal system in a library of about 100 square feet, at the largest, being introduced to the Patee/Paterno Library and being overwhelmed by the expanse of knowledge available and underwhelmed by the help to navigate the vast cyber and drywall hallways of information.

A system that allowed for an easier way to obtain these ideas would vastly benefit the students and the surrounding community.

Also, the library is filled with such great opportunities, but there is no access for the local community that struggles with poverty and literacy rates. What is the point of this knowledge if it cannot be shared?

Question: How can students use art class to change this issue in their local community?

seyoung
    Participant

Transforming art curriculum. Expanding the classroom so that everyone is included is not necessarily a simple task but, one that should be taken very seriously. By taking in the interests of each individual student and allowing for them to discover art for themselves is one way I believe this can be achieved. Allowing them to choose their seats and projects could also help with this. It may be easier said then done, but just creating a community of learners, explorers, and artists without stereotypes and hierarchy that is established at the beginning of the year. If the children know they are accepted in a class and that they have the opportunity to explore new things, it will be more beneficial for us as future teachers and them as developing humans. I believe by giving the students a certain amount of freedom, it will allow for students of all races, genders, etc. to feel included in the classroom.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.