POWER

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    lesliecsotomayor
    Participant

Power is manifested all around us in various ways. Judy Chicago’s pedagogy addresses a balance of power within the classroom setting by distributing power between the facilitator (educator) to the learner (student). This is done through lending voice to everybody in the classroom, self-representing, and research/experimenting through art. In this way, for example, controversial art or the politics of art may emerge as a concept and through dialogue circle group facilitation to these themes may be analyzed and researched. Through this method what a previous comment suggested, about getting to know the students personalities, also emerges as a classroom setting becomes an environment of closer knit individuals coming together. Individualism is then also challenged, because through circle group pedagogy ideas may begin to interweave and emerge in unexpected and organic ways creating pockets for collaborations.

lesliecsotomayor
    Participant

A hierarchy of knowledge, and knowledge building may be present within the art classroom, where the teacher/educator is seen as the pinnacle of the hierarchal triangle. However, knowledge is based on varies things; perspective, lived experiences, formal/informal education, research, and curiosity. In recognizing these different characteristics of knowledge, the Judy Chicago pedagogy in the art classroom would resist traditional roles of teacher and instead shift to each individual as teacher and contributor. This is a significant point in highlighting and lending voice to each member of a class environment resisting a passive learner, but rather an active learner.

The anxiety and fear that may overcome students when faced with having to ‘come up’ with a project idea can be diffused using the pedagogy of Judy Chicago in the art education classroom (and I would advocate beyond). Because it is not dependent on the single individual as the creative genius, but rather a collective of voices, feedback, brainstorming, research, and in short, active participation in order to allow for ideas/concepts and contexts to emerge it offers a fluid and organic art process model.

In my own experience, when I have worked within an environment where I am actively part of conversations, readings, research, brainstorming sessions, and discussions it INEVITABLY injects itself into my studio work. This is intentional. The realization that what happens to individual, also effects the other, is a powerful tool for teaching and learning. This is what brings a voice from a personal space to a public space, where others can relate to the work.

lesliecsotomayor
    Participant

Empowering a class, begins by giving voice to each student. This varies on the size of the class you have and how you facilitate discussions and participation. By creating sub groups and coming together as a class unit is one way to approach voice on varies levels. Allowing for self-presentations and student led teaching/imparting of research and knowledge is another way to also facilitate conversation from the students perspective. I think that your point about being intentional about your role as educator and the power that may automatically assumed/implicit and challenging the assumed notions is significant as well. This then will allow for self awareness from both ends and a responsibility or accountability towards the environment as a whole. A perfect example is Judy Chicago’s WomanHouse, where coming together meant bridging ideas, developing, and working and literally building together.

lesliecsotomayor
    Participant

Art may be a tool for empowerment, challenging cultural norms, and addressing significant experiences issues of everyday life. For this reason, the arts as an interdisciplinary practice, as Judy Chicago situates through her participatory art process, works as a curriculum pushing beyond art education. For example, the Chicago Holocaust series ties history, testimony, visual arts, and contemporary issues of genocide and oppression through this curriculum. By stabilizing a theme to work from it will carry over into several areas offering balance, and empowerment through self and collaborative circle pedagogy, and expressing of a theme in various forms.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What are some strategies or teaching and learning experiences that can prepare teachers to be such facilitators? How does a facilitator/teacher guide without directing students?

One of the strategies I use to help my students feel empowered in the classroom is to provide opportunities to build relationships with both me and each other. The first week of school, I design several lessons, projects, and activities that are all geared toward allowing students to share. I find that after sharing and showing that you genuinely care what students have to say, they begin to see themselves as equal to me (the teacher) on an individual/social level: we are both individuals who have our own thoughts and ideas and are deserving of respect and kindness. However, there is a difference of power when it comes to knowledge and experience on particular topics. I think that this type of a power difference is okay to have in the classroom as long as the teacher doesn’t jealously guard or withhold their knowledge and experience. It is our job as teachers to tip the balance back toward equal-power by the time our students leave us at the end of the school year.

A teacher/facilitator can guide without directing by being encouraging to students and by being a resource in the classroom. This is not an all-knowing resource, but rather a resource that can point students in the right direction for the knowledge they seek. For example, as a music teacher I ask students to compare the form of a classical piece and the form of a popular, culturally relevant piece in preparation for their own music composition project. I confess that I do not know every single classical or popular piece of music and how its form was composed, but I do know websites, other individuals, and recordings where students can go to find out the information they seek. As a developing teacher, I place more value on HOW to find knowledge, and focus less on trying to become the singular fount of all-knowing.

smiville
    Participant

The power imbalance that exists between student and teacher is one that comes from deeply embedded relationship dynamics and norms that are almost if not impossible to ever fully remove. We are brought up to acquiesce to power, and just our physical relationship as children to adults contributes to this dynamic. We can’t simply shed such a profound sense of self in relation to others who have authority over us. Even as adults we carry the traces of our formative experiences with us into every aspect of our lives. So, the question of how a facilitator/teacher guides without directing students is salient, and in a way the answer is there in the question: the teacher or the facilitator should guide and not direct. I think the crucial element to be established in order for students to feel confident and comfortable that they can explore and investigate on their own is to create an environment where such is not just possible, but encouraged and welcome. Start with engaging students with open ended questions related to a particular idea or topic and then allow them to follow strands of interest that emerge and on which they can then build their research efforts. I do think it is important to establish goals and objectives, as well as for students to develop and understand the criteria by which they can self-evaluate and by which they will be evaluated by others. Having the student conduct self-presentations would help the students reflect deeply about who they are and why they want to pursue a particular idea, theme, or project.

Elizabeth Eagle
    Participant

I believe this is a tough question, and when you are in a classroom and seen as the leader (and are empowered to be) it is difficult to have your students see your role any differently. I think this is something that is encouraged through time in a classroom; for example, at the start of a new school year or semester, encouraging an environment where questions are asked of each other; a teacher converses rather than tells; a teacher provides many possibilities for students to grab from and go in their own direction, prompted and supported by the teacher asking questions (devil’s advocate, if you will) of the student. Allowing students to explore and help provoke new ideas and interests.

emmakarpinski
    Participant

I feel that it is instilled in children’s minds early on that a teacher is someone who has indefinite and total power in any classroom environment. The students often feel that any educator has control over all decisions in the classroom, which leads said students to disconnecting from the lessons, because they feel that their voices are not important. I think that a way to break away from this early on in the classroom is to break down the myths of a classroom. As art educators, we get artistic license, and can bend the rules of “traditional” schoolwork and tasks, and we should use this to pave the way for all educators. For example, if we alter the idea of the classroom to move away from traditional layouts and furniture, students may feel more open to break out of their normal school routine. When the environment is not all rows of desks and a teacher up front, the students’ minds will not be in the “off” mode that often occurs when in that situation. If we show students that it is okay to stray from the norm, they will begin to follow suit and do so, as well. We can ask them questions that show interest in their personal ideas, then allow for opportunities for each of them to share and create those ideas that matter to them. When we give them the chance to teach their peers about something they are an expert on, their confidence will grow, and soon the students will feel more comfortable keeping an open dialogue in the classroom when it is asked of them. This shift in dynamic can allow power to be shared by the students and teacher, and make it more about “us” rather than “me” and “them”.

seyoung
    Participant

I believe I mentioned this in my previous post about diversity awareness. I mentioned in that post that I believe educators should let students have freedom to choose projects, seats and supplies. I believe that this freedom will not only allow students to feel included but also it will distribute power. Power should not be held solely by the teacher as Judy Chicago mentions. The teacher should give the students freedom and I believe this will allow for the distribution of power throughout the classroom.

RichardSmith
    Participant

<h1>kitchen designers in miami?</h1>

With on a regular basis we spend within the kitchen, it is no surprise that each a number of years, we itch for a brand new look. In case you have an older dwelling, your kitchen might have home equipment which do not match – that almond fridge you got a number of years in the past, with the chrome steel dishwasher and a range in that yellow-gold shade so in style within the 70s. You are undoubtedly up for a change! Nevertheless, a kitchen rework is without doubt one of the most costly initiatives you possibly can sort out.kitchen designers in miami So, what’s a viable answer?

Related link:-https://www.houzz.com/professionals/kitchen-and-bath/c/Pembroke-Pines–FL

A DIY kitchen design and transforming venture is likely to be the right reply. You do not have to be a grasp carpenter or inside designer to do a kitchen makeover that’s nothing wanting gorgeous. In the event you correctly arrange your DIY kitchen design and transforming venture, you possibly can break your kitchen makeover into a number of chunks, performed over a time frame. You will not even must take out a mortgage. Now we’re speaking.

MaxwellRios
    Participant

marketing agency in Qatar?

These seeking to discover the Qatari market and its instructional sector shall be to know that the nation is seeking to enhance the abilities and training of its residents and workforce by the Qatar Imaginative and prescient 2030 programme, Marketing agency which might result in alternatives for international coaching suppliers to ship their experience in lots of areas of academia and expertise coaching.

One other trade that’s suggested to discover the Qatari market is the vitality trade, and never solely as a result of this area of the world has ample pure assets in the way in which of oil and fuel; the Qatar authorities could be very excited about creating a cleaner, greener technique of fuel extraction which offers the chance for partnership with international engineering firms and buyers.

Along with its non-renewable vitality sources, the nation can be seeking to develop its capability for harnessing photo voltaic vitality which, as a result of nation’s geographical location, is in abundance. Qatar additionally presently produces a big quantity of commercial merchandise comparable to vinyl, fertilizer, ethylene and different chemical substances, with alternatives for native partnerships accessible on this space.
    Related Link:-
    https://outspoke.co/marketing-agency/

eva
    Participant

Because it is not dependent on the single individual as the creative genius, but rather a collective of voices, feedback, brainstorming, research, and in short, active participation in order to allow for ideas/concepts and contexts to emerge it offers a fluid and organic art process model. One of the strategies I use to help my students feel empowered in the classroom is to provide opportunities to build relationships with both me and each other. The first week of school, I design several lessons, projects, and activities that are all geared toward allowing students to share. Through this method what a previous comment suggested, about getting to know the students personalities, also emerges as a classroom setting becomes an environment of closer knit individuals coming together. I think that your point about being intentional about your role as educator and the power that may automatically assumed/implicit and challenging the assumed notions is significant as well. Watch Sports Football I confess that I do not know every single classical or popular piece of music and how its form was composed, but I do know websites, other individuals, and recordings where students can go to find out the information they seek. As a developing teacher, I place more value on HOW to find knowledge, and focus less on trying to become the singular fount of all-knowing. Start with engaging students with open ended questions related to a particular idea or topic and then allow them to follow strands of interest that emerge and on which they can then build their research efforts.

Liz Leslie
    Participant

I think this is a very difficult question. I teach Kindergarten, and to think about this concept with 5 and 6 year olds, If I do not take control of the classroom, chaos will ensue. I have to lead and direct them, with the hopes that in a higher grade we can get to the facilitator role. I believe there has to be some ground work first before students can be “set free” in the classroom. Much of my class is production time, and I do act as a facilitator, but if I don’t take some control and power to start, nothing productive will get done. If I was teaching older grades, I believe this facilitator role would be more natural.

MeganWhitney
    Participant

I often time am confronted with this issue. My students are incredibly eager not only to be reassured that they are doing the right thing, but that this thing looks good in MY eyes. I think that the most effective tool that teacher can use it questioning. When a student asks, “do you think this looks good?” usually my response is, “what do you think?” Sometimes they answer with, “I don’t know, that’s why i’m asking you.” in which case I prompt them to consider, “what are some thing that you think a successful piece should have?”. Other than questions, I believe that another effective strategy that teacher can use is technology. Often times I will direct my students to a google doc or a post in their SeeSaw journal that has links to resources that they might find helpful. The 813 class is set up like this also. While the initial index is created by the teacher the selection and take away if completely up to the student. Providing students with options and chances to make choices allow the teacher to guide while giving students agency over their own learning.

Lance Rautzhan
    Participant

The history of art is full of artists coming together in their studios to share work and ideas, critique and opine and collaborate. Creating an environment, whether in a classroom or online, that mimics this historically proven method of sharing information can leap frog the power structure that exists inherently between teacher and student. Projects that present the teacher as collaborative mentor would be similar to the older more experienced/knowledgeable artist showing up at the studio of the younger less experienced/knowledgeable artist. I acknowledge that this method would take some revision at the elementary and middle school level because “herding cats” is no easy task. However, it is a powerful tool to recognize students as artists in their own right, not equal to the teacher but respected as any artist would respect her peers and their work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.