5. CULTURALLY-RESPONSIVE

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part 4 5. CULTURALLY-RESPONSIVE

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Shelby
    Participant

As far as elementary art curriculum I would agree with Liz in that it does give room for teachers to bring in the culturally responsive issues in that I too choose books that integrate some culturally responsive issues giving us a chance to discuss and think about. But could we do a better job at integrating more? Absolutely! I felt as though in my college curriculum as a undergrad there was a lot of integration of cultural responsiveness. But the seed needs to be planted when they are young too. The younger students it becomes a balancing act of teaching content, technique, and materials while also giving them the character education and cultural responsiveness.

Andrea T.
    Participant

I believe that present day art curriculum is much further along than it used to be regarding issues of gender, race, age, sexuality and disability issues. However, there is still a long way to go before it is adequate enough to do true justice to these issues. As exposure to artists online from all walks of life become easier to access, it becomes easier to find artists who are making important work about gender, race, age, sexuality, and disability. One no longer has to solely rely on textbooks and museums to designate artists as significant. However, the more formal institutions of art still need to actively curate works of art that address these issues, so that they can become a part of the larger cultural dialogue.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.