6. Why so much emphasis on hands-on artmaking in both k-12 and undergraduate art education?

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part I 6. Why so much emphasis on hands-on artmaking in both k-12 and undergraduate art education?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Milea
    Participant

My opinoin hands on art making is really danger for youth.The youth should be filled with learning and reading, not bringing things that can bring accidents to himself or others.

CaseyF
    Participant

I think there is so much emphasis on hands-on artmaking in both k-12 and undergraduate art education because of students development. Their fine motor skills are looked at closely in the early years of education. Keeping an eye on their abilities can help teachers work together at finding the best ways to help students that need assistance. This is true in regular education settings, art classes and even physical education classes. Discussions take place in many aspects of that students day in order to provide them with as much intervention time as possible.It gives all students time to problems solve and explore their own interests. Even when students move into high school, giving them the satisfaction of creating something with their own hands, using their own creativity is still important. It is a different way for them to express their ideas, build upon the skills that have already been learned and open their mind to critical thinking.

CaseyF
    Participant

I believe people are entitled to their own opinions. But I was intrigued in the statement that hands on learning would be a danger to our youth.

I learned about Friedrich Froebel in college. A man and with a community of others created essential factors in child education, including self activity through play. Yes this was back in the 1800s, but he shared and researched the importance of play and experimenting and how it improves children’s growth and development. There is plenty of research that is new as well, that I am sure would agree with those same factors. I do agree and believe children learn in different ways. Some students may not take away as much information for creating an art project that another student would. But that is also why it is important to have discussions in class and explain why they are working on the projects. Giving them ways to relate to the information and be able to share what they have learned in their own way. It broadens their options, critical thinking, and problem solving skills that can be taken into other classes and life events.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.