4. Changes in studio art courses and programs?

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part 3 4. Changes in studio art courses and programs?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JCAEC
    Keymaster

Some women students in studio art classes perceive that faculty pay more attention to male students, or that the male students are more vocal during studio group critiques. Is this your perception? If so, how do you think studio art courses and programs can be changed so that there is equity in opportunities to learn?

Atizio11
    Participant

4. Some women students in studio art classes perceive that faculty pay more attention to male students, or that the male students are more vocal during studio group critiques. Is this your perception? If so, how do you think studio art courses and programs can be changed so that there is equity in opportunities to learn?

Yes, I do think men get more attention in studio art courses and programs because most artists students learn about are men. We are so incredibly focused on how good men are at art, that we forget that women can be great artists too. I think this leads females to speak less during class and take studio courses less seriously. Art can’t be something they do as a career. It’s a “hobby” or it’s only “crafts”. I think if we taught both men and women about female artists, there would be more opportunities to learn. Women would be more inspired and encouraged to create art and explore different topics and mediums. They would see that their perspective matters and can be analyzed in a positive setting. Also, men would benefit because they would see that art is not dominated by western males. Their education would broaden and hopefully their art would reflect that.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.