2. Education about men in feminist activism

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part 3 2. Education about men in feminist activism

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bmk5442
    Participant

There is a lack of education about the men active in feminism and I think this is because education in general about feminist activism is lacking. In addition, if we continue to support and only educate about what the males are doing within the feminist movement then we are only further encouraging the patriarchy that exists in society. Women’s accomplishments will continue to go unnoticed and inequality will still exist despite the efforts being made. Just as often time in history classes women are not mentioned I feel that it is the same in women’s studies classes and that we try not to continue to celebrate male’s accomplishments within the class. However, all of these are just possibilities of why male’s active in feminist activism are not educated about.

bpb5170
    Participant

While many men have supported women’s struggle for equality, there is a lack of education about men active in feminist activism. Why do you think this is?

– I believe that there is a lack of education about men active in feminist activism because when people hear the words “feminism” or “feminist” they automatically assume women. I think this is a result of the hegemony we live in that accentuates the fact that men have always played the dominant role. In the video “What About Men”, Donald discusses the fact that the patriarchy we are apart of has been ongoing for years and years, for example the women’s suffrage movement. He says, “Women had to come to men and ask their permission to vote. They are not going to get the permission from men because then men lose that power.” I feel as though many are still blind about feminism today for that same reason. People are afraid to accept the fact that men are feminists as well just because they do not want men losing that dominant control they have always had. Donald also at one point says, “Why do we have to use the word feminism? Why can’t we use the word ‘humanist?’ Or why can’t we change the spelling to ‘fe-man-ism’?!” I think this is a great outlook on the word “feminism” because not all feminists are women, and we need to begin to educate our country more about that.

mjs6600
    Participant

I think the name “feminism” and the lack of material available explaining feminism with out bias are parts of why men are not as active in feminist activism. In high school there was little information about gender equality. If I wanted to learn something I had to look it up myself. One of my teachers refused to talk about birth control and how it played a part in suffrage even though it is a fact of history that women want sexual freedom. When these facts are snuffed out everyone loses. Another factor is definitely the patriarchal system that our society has and the strict view of masculinity that is imposed on men. Supporting women can seem like a man is against his own gender and other take that idea defensively. Overall it’s a hard issue, it’s complicated, but correct and honest education that isn’t a single story would be a wonderful start!

abigailjoyce
    Participant

The lack of education in regards to men active in feminism can be derived from the culture we live in. There is a negative connotation of “crazy and angry women protesting their harsh beliefs” that comes from the word “feminism”. Perhaps, the men that have big roles in this movement are being shafted just as the women are. There is a lack of education in general about feminist activism due to the way people perceive it. Therefore, so many individuals are doubtful to look into/ believe that a man would be associated with this activism. Additionally, there is the sad truth that a man playing a role in feminism may not be interpreted as doing so. There is an evident double standard when it comes to expressing feelings about women’s equality. A man could be seen as just a decent and reasonable human being, but the second the message is relayed from a woman, it attaches a sense of that negative connotation and the purpose behind the content is skewed.

axs6025
    Participant

I believe there is a lack of education about men active in feminism because there are not enough impactful examples of situations of men active in feminism. There are less male feminists than female feminists so I think educators try to represent the majority rather than the minority. Feminism is about women so I think it is a stronger argument for feminism education to use the subject they are talking about as the examples. I also feel that men have more recently started supporting feminism so history books and lessons may not be updated enough to include men active in feminism.

sng5156
    Participant

While many men have supported women’s struggle for equality, there is a lack of education about men active in feminist activism. Why do you think this is?

This ties in with men’s roles in women’s equality where there are some men that fight for and participate in women’s equality but they are not noticed because it is hard for a man to be a feminist. They are seen as less of a man in a way because men are usually seen as being superior to women. There have been several male feminist but they are not really noticed and acknowledged. With there being a lack of women;s history it is hard for a male to be fully educated on women’s history. But it is very important for a man to be educated in feminist activism because this one educated male would have the opportunity to see all the hardships females faced and could open up other males eyes to what women have gone through over the past years. It is an opportunity for so many other men to have at least a chance to know or see another side to history.

Elizabeth Eagle
    Participant

When people speak of feminism and/or more specifically feminist art, I think it is most always immediately perceived as “female only”, so to speak. Looking at he history of feminism, etc. I believe that it can center itself more directly on the female role and the female’s fight for equality, leaving out the male participant. I think one reason this might be so involves trying to suppress the feminist ideal, by removing the male, in order to downplay any achievement and power that feminist art has in community and social justice.

afinamore
    Participant

I agree with many of the earlier posts and with you Elizabeth when you say feminist art is perceived to be “female only.” I also believe that perhaps the perception of a man’s masculinity would be challenged by some if he took an active role in feminist art or the feminist movement. This could contribute to why it is difficult to find the names of men involved in women’s equality.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In this post the points you have mentioned are quite authentic and that’s why I am fully agreed with you. I have a professional thesis writers in Thesis Genius.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that there is a lack of education about men who are active in the feminist movement because they are not the sex that has been oppressed. Who better to express the hardships and unfairness of society than the people who experience it first hand. That is not to downplay the contributions of men who are active in feminist activism, but because of historical/ societal trends and first-hand experience, women provide a more powerful voice in the fight for gender equality.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Totally agree with author. There is lack of education for men who are active in the feminist movement, this is directly effecting the quality standards. You can pay a visit to professional writers and they will provide all the details regarding this movement.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.