1. Relationship between art, art history and art education programs?

Home Forums Dialogue Portal Dialogue Portal: Part I 1. Relationship between art, art history and art education programs?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    evoyvodich
    Participant

This is an interesting questions, because to become and art educator, you need proper amounts of experience in both studio arts and art history but they are essential to the function of my educational practices. I think it would be greatly beneficial and developmental in making both BFA/MFA students and art history majors more rounded in their fields if their college were to require some cross-curricular education into the surrounding majors. I think studio artists should study teaching as a component to their work(3 credits?); there is nothing here that couldn’t help grow their creative practice and the way their work interacts with the world. Art historians should take a couple of art classes, because again, it would enrich their work (6 credits?); can you imagine how much more one would appreciate looking at and teaching about lithograph prints if you had actually made one yourself…!

jules
    Participant

I believe that art, art history, and art education all intersect and rely on each other for the fundamental practice, understanding, and development of each other. Art students should not be blind to art history, as past practices and artists can have great influence on their own work, and they should also understand the importance of art education to their own practice and growing the field. Art history students should be aware of studio practices as understanding how art is made is essential in understanding the art itself. Museums also need to have a focus on art education as they want to pass information along to their visitors. Art education students and teachers should incorporate both studio art and art history into lessons to give students a full understanding of the field. As an art education and BFA student at Penn State, I have benefited greatly in both my areas of study by studying them alongside each other.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.